Monday, October 04, 2004

Grosse Pointe Blank Rocks!

No matter how many times I watch this film I enjoy it and I never seem to grow tired of it. I'm sure it has to do with a number of things but I appreciate the soundtrack and the dialogue in particular.

The writing is really wonderful and there are little nuggets of tasty goodness peppered throughout. Just the whole idea of the film is amusing - guy disappears on prom night and shows up at his 10 year reunion having become a professional assassin. I mean, who the hell does that?

Of course John Cusack and Minnie Driver are great (dig the chemistry between them) but the supporting cast is excellent - Alan Arkin, Dan Aykroyd, Hank Azaria, Jeremy Piven, Joan Cusack. I love that there is always a part for Joan in John's movies, she's so good at playing those slightly off characters that make me laugh.

John Cusack has had a pretty great career so far. I don't know that I've seen him in anything where I thought, "dude! what were you thinking?" Most of the time, I enjoy his films and some of them are truly exceptional - High Fidelity is most certainly one of his best and one of my favorites along with Better Off Dead (Two Dollars!!). He's also about my age so I think I feel somehow connected with some of the material he chooses (like Grosse Point Blank) because I identify with it.

All that aside, he's nice to look at as well :)

2 Comments:

At 4:05 PM, Blogger Laziest Girl said...

I wonder what it is about Grosse Pointe Blank - I think I've seen it about 20 times and I still laugh out loud. I don't think I can even pick out my favourite bit - it's just the whole package. And it has a fantastic soundtrack.

I must confess that I also have the biggest crush on John Cusack.

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger NorthwestBabe said...

John Cusack is very crush-worthy, I'm with ya on that!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home