Thursday, June 02, 2005

Inconvenience is Such an Inconvenience!

I live in a condo complex that lacks enough guest parking. Everyone who owns a condo was allowed to purchase just one parking space and there are hardly any guest spots (because let's face it, they don't make any money off of them). In general, the parking situation sucks - the spaces are too narrow even for my Subaru Forester and that's not really a big vehicle. The two people next to me own a BMW X5 and some other huge monstrosity - an Aztec? In addition, they made the driving row way too small so backing out of my space requires several "adjustments" before I can actually drive off.

There are about 4 or 5 wheelchair accessible spaces as required by federal law - though there are not many condos that are on a ground floor without stairs and there are no elevators (it's not a very accessible place). So, the consequence is that a number of homeowners park in these spaces because:

  1. Their own spot is too far from their condo
  2. Their guests cannot possibly bear to park on the street
  3. They are unloading their car
  4. They are selfish, whining babies who pout about being inconvenienced because they have to walk an extra 20 feet to their own parking space.
  5. Their own parking spot is a pain to park in because their vehicle doesn't fit in it

The following is from a note posted to the condo's homeowner web message board:

I understand that some of you might find it unfair or selfish that non-disabled people are parking in these spots. However, many of the residents really need those handicapped spots for our guests, since the existing guest parking is woefully inadequate and highly inconvenient (often due to the absence of the concierge at his kiosk when guests arrive). As "Brad" pointed out, these spaces must be designated as handicapped under state and federal law, negating any possbility of them being redesignated for owner parking spots. That said, who is it really hurting if non-handicapped people park there? There are no handicapped residents, and rarely are there handicapped visitors. I think it does everyone a disservice to start policing the handicapped spots that have previously gone unenforced.

My two cents.


Maybe I'm just a royal bitch (well I am but that's not the point) but my first reaction to this was, "cry me a fucking river you spoiled, self-centered, pathetic child." For some reason, it just made me think of a parallel with Americans in general. Is it me or does it seem like America thinks its completely entitled to park in the handicapped spaces of the world? Any country, region, people, etc. deemed lesser or disabled in someway (by American standards of course) is "available" for the taking or the forcing of them to do things "our way."

Maybe I just have this really cynical view of America and Americans in general but after the last election I feel completely at odds with my fellow Americans. I feel somehow part of the fringe and I've not had that experience before. It's certainly unsettling but it tells me that there is a need for some change. I'm wondering how bad things will have to get before everyone wakes up and breaks the spell they're all under. An interesting concept the idea of spells. Sadly, I think they are more alive today than ever before.

That's all. It just bugged me and I needed to get it out of my head. Jeez, I've posted more today than I have in the last month. I guess I've been keeping it all bottled up - this is no good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home